Thursday, January 19, 2012

Swimming! Who knew!

So I’ve been talking about getting a membership to the YMCA for way too long, but wasn’t doing it. I’m a little cheap when it comes to having to pay for monthly services… well I’m a little cheap when it comes to money. So one day, my manager who is also a very good friend showed up in my office with a week guest pass to the Y. How can I pass that up?!? If I stall on something long enough my friends and family tend to give me a little push every now and then.

I started the pass on Monday. After working a full day, I went to the Y for four hours! First, I did an hour and a half class of yoga followed by my originally planned run for the day. I have to say, treadmills are kind of… well… boring. I guess I needed someone to talk to or something. I did four miles on the treadmill and was heading down the hall to say goodnight to my friend when I got sucked into going to the Master’s swim class. What a challenge and somewhat embarrassing experience that was.


Swimming has never been my strong suit. The last time I was in the pool was seven years ago and it also happened to be when I learned to swim. I’ve never been comfortable in the water and I have never done laps. The coach started me nice and easy in the “slow lane”. I would swim down the pool, get in the corner where I would huff and puff for a minute or more and then try to make it back down the pool. My form and breathing were terrible, I knew that without really knowing anything about swimming and I was trying my best to stay out of the way for the other people in the lane, who were also amazingly supportive. The coach gave me great advice and suggestions and the lifeguard kept a close eye on me. I was pretty sure I was never going to show my face there again.

When I stepped out of the pool, the first thing I noticed was that my foot didn’t hurt! Not even a twinge and I’d run just before class! I was suddenly thinking the embarrassment might be worth it. The next scheduled class was Wednesday. I was there ten minutes early, this time running five miles before. Foot hurt before class… foot was pain free after class! It’s like I found a miracle cure! This time I was able to make it up and down the pool several times without having to rest. The coach was really starting to push me and started setting little goals for me. Except for the terrible calf cramp that had me crawling out of the side of the pool, I’m really starting to enjoy it. I feel like I’m starting couch to 5k all over again, just with a lot more water.

Sorry running, I think I just found a second love!

No comments:

Post a Comment