Monday, January 7, 2013

Looking Back and Looking Forward


I hope everyone’s New Year has gotten off to a great start! Anyone set any exciting running or fitness resolutions for 2013? I’m doing something different this year. I’m not setting any mileage goals or number of race goals, I’m keeping it simple. 2013 is going to be about getting healthy and staying healthy, building a strong base and preparing for 2014.

I am once again down with ITBS (Iliotibial band syndrome), this time on my left leg. I irritated it running Santa to the Sea a little too hard. I thought I had my muscle imbalance under control, but apparently I don’t. So I’m getting back to the basics and easing off on my mileage and speed while it heals.

Achievements for 2012 included running my first marathon, completing thirteen total races for the year and beating my previous year’s mileage. Not too shabby. I spent almost half the year injured, so I’ve learned a lot of valuable lessons which has led to my decision to push my goals off to 2014. I’d like to run another marathon and beat some of my old PR’s, but my base needs some serious work, so I can avoid some of these injuries. Sometimes you need to take a step back in order to move forward. I look forward to what the new year will bring!

My first marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment