Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Bad Geek Girl!

I am a terrible, terrible blogger. Bad, bad Geek Girl! I disappeared, I know, I’m sorry! A couple days after the Lakes of Love run in May, I was at physical therapy doing some jumping exercises when I experienced an intense pain in my foot. Eli took it easy on me that day and the pain faded pretty quickly, so I went for an easy run right after the appointment. Bad idea! The pain in my foot resurfaced and this time decided to stick around.

To make a long story short, I tried running on it a couple times, but soon realized that it was a little more serious then I first suspected. Two physical therapy sessions later and one x-ray, we came to the conclusion I had a stress fracture in the fifth metatarsal of my left foot (finally something on my left side). I was stuck in a boot cast for three weeks! 


I tried to keep up exercising by swimming and biking, but everything was hurting my foot. It wasn’t till I gave up all exercise that I started to see improvement. So just when things were getting better…. Dun dun dun…

In the early morning hours of the 4th of July, I had an emergency appendectomy. I’d started feeling sick on July 2nd, figured it was the flu and tried to ignore it. Went into the emergency room on July 3rd after some tests revealed I had appendicitis and at that point they thought it had already burst. So instead of volunteering for a local race taking place on the 4th, I spent it in the hospital. Don’t worry, I did get to see some fireworks from a hospital window.


The next day, I was working from home and less than a week later I was off to San Diego for four geeky filled days of Comic Con! So, my recovery took slightly longer than originally expected.



On August 14th I was finally given the green light to start running again! The restrictions were intense, but I was just happy to be pounding the pavement again. Two days ago, I ran, ok, I jog/walked the Disneyland Half Marathon (shhh, don’t tell Eli)! I’ll get a race report up soon, I promise!

What a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment